As part of the effort to reposition the then NPC (now MBEP) as a pacesetter organization and improve service delivery, the need for a reform cannot be over emphasized. The reform had become necessary in view of the increasing role of the Commission in the economic management of Nigeria and the need for effective performance of its workforce. This will enable it transform into an enviable and result oriented organization. A major part of the process is the transformation of Public Infrastructure Utility to the Department of Infrastructure.
To be an effective and efficient Department in the articulation of policies, programs and projects that will ensure the proper development of the Nation’s Infrastructure
To liaise with the relevant MDAs in the articulation, coordination and implementation of policies, programs and projects in the Infrastructure, Governance and Security sectors for sustainable economic growth and development.
The Department is structured into two divisions namely:
Physical Infrastructure Division
Security and Governance Division.
The Physical Infrastructure Division deals with issues of Transportation (Roads, Rail, Waterways and Pipelines), Power and Communications, whereas the Security and Governance Division covers Internal and External Security; and Governance issues such as human rights, public service delivery, elections, Justice and Judiciary among others.
The Infrastructure Department is charged with the following responsibilities:
Development of a National Integrated Infrastructure Master Plan (2014-2043). The objectives of the Plan include the following;
PLAN ACTIVITIES/ NEXT STEPS
- Annual public-private dialogue on Infrastructure financing;
- National Infrastructure Surveillance;
- Sensitization Workshop across the six (6) Geo-Political Zones on Infrastructure Development.
- Update of National infrastructure database/National Infrastructure Register;
- National Infrastructure Quarterly Coordination Forum with MDAs on Infrastructure Delivery;
- Meetings of the National Council on Infrastructure
- Meeting of the National Technical Working Group on Infrastructure